Member, Mintz Levin
With over 15 years of experience in business and corporate and securities law, Marty advises clients on a wide variety of matters from general business issues to strategic transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, capital formation and international expansion. He regularly acts as outside general counsel to companies in all stages of development and across various industries.
Clients rely on Marty’s mix of leadership, business acumen and legal experience to handle multi-disciplinary matters that cross multiple jurisdictions – both domestically and internationally. He leads clients’ mergers and acquisition efforts and their capital formation transactions, manages public company reporting obligations, and advises Boards of Directors. He regularly provides counsel on operational matters including corporate governance, internal investigations, federal securities compliance, foreign corrupt practices and post-merger integration issues. He frequently advises his international clients on issues related to expansion and consolidation projects, reorganization of assets, and cross-border business law matters. He has represented emerging growth companies, public companies, investment banks, venture capital funds, private equity funds, serial entrepreneurs and C-suite executives.
Marty is experienced in representing clients from many industry sectors, including retail, software, information technology, semiconductors, life sciences, health care services, finance, media and telecommunications, military and defense, education, hospitality, and clean technology.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Marty was a partner in the San Diego office of a major international law firm, practicing in the corporate and securities group. Additionally, Marty is currently in his 24th year of service in the Marine Corps Reserve and has been a leader at the tactical, operational and strategic levels. He is intimately involved in leadership development. In addition to mentoring and counseling entrepreneurs and executives, he volunteers his time to teach leadership skills to youth and students.
His extensive work in the community includes his current service as outside General Counsel for the Asian Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund, as a director on the alumni board of the University of San Diego School of Law and as co-chair of the Military and Veterans Affairs Committee for the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA). He is a past recipient of the Best Lawyers Under 40 Award and the Trailblazer Award from NAPABA.
Marty is the author of “Race-Conscious-Diversity Admissions Programs: Furthering a Compelling Interest,” which was published in the University of Michigan Law School Michigan Journal of Race & Law in 1997.
- Represented a public life sciences company in a $800 million exchange offer of convertible debt
- Represented a public life sciences company in a $500 million 144A convertible debt offering
- Represented a software company in a $74 million initial public offering
- Represented a chip design company in a $37 million initial public offering
- Represented a telecommunications equipment manufacturer in a $15 million follow-on public offering
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a telecommunications equipment manufacturer in a $39 million public/public merger
- Represented a public life sciences company in a $210 million sale of a private division
- Represented a life sciences company in a $1.9 billion public/public acquisition
- Represented a wireless internet service provider in an $8 million Series A financing/debt conversion
- Represented a fuel cell and backup power equipment manufacturer in a $25 million Series B financing
- Represented a chip design company developing reconfigurable digital signal processor (rDSP) cores in a $6 million Series A financing